Electrical Service Upgrades in Waukesha County
Home Experts Devoted to Restoring Your Comfort
There are various reasons why homeowners and business owners may need an electrical system upgrade for their property. An electrical service upgrade allows more electrical power to reach your home. This is especially relevant for older homes that weren’t designed to accommodate modern electrical needs.
While safety is always the top priority when it comes to electrical systems, there are other benefits to investing in an electrical service upgrade in your home or business. In addition to the obvious peace of mind that comes with eliminating a potential fire hazard, other benefits of upgrading your property’s electrical system include:
- The ability to use modern appliances safely and effectively
- The ability to add additional circuits to your home if desired
- The potential to increase your home’s resale value
- Reduced insurance premium
- Decreased maintenance costs
- Lower utility bills
Another advantage to upgrading your electrical system is the chance to reduce your ecological footprint, as having a more energy-efficient home isn’t just good for your wallet—it’s good for the environment, too.
Do you suspect an electrical issue in your home? Our team is available 24/7 to prioritize your safety. Give us a call at (262) 314-4566 today.
Reasons to Upgrade Your Electrical System
While some homeowners choose to upgrade their electrical service for non-urgent reasons, such as a home renovation or the convenience of having more outlets, other property owners are faced with more pressing needs. Consider these common reasons to upgrade an electrical system:
To ensure your property’s electrical system is up to code.
Federal and state laws regulate the construction and safety of homes, businesses, and other properties. Adhering to electrical codes is especially vital, as doing so can prevent an unwanted catastrophe from occurring.
In the U.S., the National Electrical Code (NEC) regulates the safe installation, maintenance, and replacement of electrical wiring and equipment. In some instances, local jurisdictions also enforce electrical codes that property owners must follow, as certain geographic areas can reflect regional issues (such as a coastal region enforcing electrical codes that take heat and humidity into consideration).
It isn’t uncommon for building codes to vary from year to year. This means that there is always a possibility that new safety standards have been added or modified in recent months or years. Rewiring or updating your electrical system can help ensure that your home still meets electrical standards and current building codes.
To prevent fire hazards.
Faulty electrical systems pose a major fire hazard. Most are caused by faulty outlets and old or outdated appliances, making it all the more important to keep your electrical system safely up-to-date.
As you may expect, the risk of fire is higher in older homes with damaged or older wiring systems. Taking time to properly inspect, repair, or replace your electrical system and appliances will help minimize the risk of fire and protect you and your loved ones from harm.
The property is old or outdated.
Wear and tear is a natural part of life. For the most part, systems and appliances must be replaced after a certain number of years. Failure to replace outdated systems after their lifetime ends can lead to poor functioning or no functioning altogether, not to mention serious safety hazards.
Older homes in particular will need more attention when it comes to electrical systems. It’s a good rule of thumb to have your electrical systems inspected and/or rewired if your home is at least 30 years old. Keeping an eye on your electrical systems will allow you to keep yourself and your family safe.
Signs You Need an Electrical Service Upgrade
We all depend on electricity to go about our day-to-day lives. In fact, many people don’t realize how much they rely on electrical systems until they no longer work. When there’s an issue with your electrical system, there’s a good chance you’ll notice.
While some warning signs of a faulty or dying electrical system are obvious, others require more thought. Consider the following common signs that it may be time for an electrical service upgrade:
- Flickering lights. This is one of the more noticeable signs to watch out for. In some cases, flickering lights are observed when you turn on a particular appliance (such as running the dishwasher or washing clothes). This is a good sign that you should consider an electrical inspection.
- Burning smell. Never ignore a burning smell in your home until you find the source. A burning smell from your breaker box can indicate problems such as an overloaded electrical system or loose connections.
- Discolored outlets. When an electrical system is faulty or overheated, the excess heat can discolor outlets. Keep an eye out for any outlets that appear dark or brown in color.
- Tripped breakers. Are you tired of running outside to reset your breaker box every time you use the microwave or turn on a vacuum? Recurring issues with your breaker box are a definite sign that it's time to get your electrical system inspected.
- Popping sounds inside your electrical panel. Unusual sounds in your home’s electrical panel can indicate that something is wrong. If you hear sizzling, crackling, or popping coming from your electrical panel or breaker box, it’s time to prioritize your safety and request an inspection.
Get a Free Estimate from Our Home Experts Today
Our home experts at O’Leary Plumbing & Heating, Inc. have been restoring our clients’ comfort for decades. Since 1958, our friendly and professional team has been routinely called for a wide range of home services, from air condition installations to heating duct repair to new construction and remolding.
Whatever your home needs, we've got you covered. Our skilled technicians are available 24/7 for emergencies and will work tirelessly to keep you and your loved ones safe from harm. If you suspect an issue in your home, it's imperative to take action immediately. Whether you woke up to a broken heater or detect a burning smell, don't hesitate to give us a call today.
Concerned about your electrical system? We offer a full range of services to restore your peace of mind. Call (262) 314-4566 to get a free estimate.
Why Choose Us?
Don't gamble with your property. Trust our licensed, bonded and insured technicians to take care of your home.
Our family owned and operated company has been serving East Troy & the surrounding areas for three generations.
Our seasoned technicians have the skills, experience, and follow-through to complete even the most complex repairs.
Day or night, our friendly technicians and staff are here to provide top-tier heating, plumbing, or cooling solutions.